[daip] help installing AIPS

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Sep 11 16:47:37 EDT 2003

Wells,Shannon writes:

 > I am attempting to install AIPS on one of the machines here at Agnes Scott College and I am coming up with some interesting error messages.  I have completely installed AIPS, but when I start it up it won't open the TV and it gives me the following error messages:
 >
 > XASERVERS: Start XAS on galileo, DISPLAY :0
 > /home/aips/AIPS/31DEC02/SYSTEM/UNIX/XASERVERS: line 206: ./XAS: Permission denied

    This is claiming that XAS is not executable - at least by you.
Did XAS build properly on your machine?

cd $AIPS_ROOT
source LOGIN.CSH
$CDTST
cd $LOAD
ls -l XA*

cd $YSERV/XAS
make

to build one now...

Send me the error messages.

 > STARTPMON: [GALILEO] Starting TPMON9 with output SUPPRESSED
 > ZVTPO3: tcp/aipsmt8 is not a service
 > ZVTPO3: check /etc/services or NIS map!
 > STARTPMON: [GALILEO] Starting TPMONA with output SUPPRESSED
 > /home/aips/AIPS/31DEC02/SYSTEM/UNIX/STARTPMON: line 274: TPMON10: command not found

How many tape drives are on your machine.  This implies that you told
it at least 9.  I think AIPS will not function well with so many.