[daip] installation failure

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Sep 11 10:51:24 EDT 2003

I rejected your mail to aipsmail or daip at nrao.edu since it was way too
large to send to a group of people.

I read the introduction - which is all I could see - and you kept
sending me summary messages such as "dies of wimpy compiler" rather
than the actual error message which would occur only a few lines
above.

Let me make some guesses:

1. The 3.2.2 compiler that you have used is fine for aips with a
   couple of exceptions.  BUT: OPT="-O2" is what you use for that
   compiler not the long list which is for 2.95.3.

2. RedHat 9 and this compiler REQUIRE that you install the patches
   listed on our web site.  The binary installation which we really do
   not support at all well probably will not work properly on RedHat 9
   systems.  I have added a patch this morning to cover the two
   subroutines that 3.2.2 messes up.

   The compiles in INSTEP2 will work without the patches but will
   generate code that will not link on RedHat 9.  The OPTIMIZE.LIS fix
   is needed to make two routines (used mnay places) compile
   correctly.