[daip] aips installation problem

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Oct 20 13:42:58 EDT 2003

Min S. Yun writes:

 > AipsWiz: About to unpack the XAS.SHR archive.
 > AipsWiz: Building the UNSHR program for LINUX...
 > AipsWiz: UNSHR.LINUX built in `pwd`

The install.pl remembers that you are a Linux system from the above
messages but the next suggests that, if LOGIN.SH is accessed, then
your host name is no loger recognized and so its architecture is not
known.  Did you select "laptop yes" at some point or go edit the
LOGIN.SH file to select it?  Did the response to uname -n change
(laptops change ID each time they are plugged in at least sometimes).

The contents of $AIPS_ROOT/LOGIN.SH, HOSTS.LIST and the answer to
uname -n should help to debug this.  Also one must look at ~/.AIPSRC
to see what it now says.  That has a host name in it too and restarts
use the info recorder in the file.

 > c xas.c
 > make: c: Command not found
 > make: [xas.o] Error 127 (ignored)

Calling the C compiler c is the usual response to $ARCH being
unknown.

 > c image.c
 > make: c: Command not found
 > make: [image.o] Error 127 (ignored)
 > c comm.c
 > make: c: Command not found
 > make: [comm.o] Error 127 (ignored)
 > c cursor.c
 > make: c: Command not found
 > make: [cursor.o] Error 127 (ignored)
 > c screen.c
 > make: c: Command not found
 > make: [screen.o] Error 127 (ignored)
 > c init.c
 > make: c: Command not found
 > make: [init.o] Error 127 (ignored)
 > c colors.c
 > make: c: Command not found
 > make: [colors.o] Error 127 (ignored)
 > c catalog.c
 > make: c: Command not found
 > make: [catalog.o] Error 127 (ignored)
 > xas.o image.o comm.o cursor.o screen.o init.o colors.o catalog.o -lXext
 > -lX11 -lm  -o xas
 > make: xas.o: Command not found
 > make: *** [xas] Error 127
 > AipsWiz: Error: Failed to build the XAS program.
 > AipsWiz: Error: This means no AIPS TV will be available.
 > AipsWiz: ==> Press <ENTER> to acknowledge::
 >
 > This sort of reads like there are problems with the compilers.
 > I have looked at FDEFAULT.SH file, but I am not too familiar
 > with this sort of things.  It appears my g77 is version 2.95,
 > and I may need to uncomment some of the things relevant for
 > this particular version in FDEFAULT.SH?  Thanks for your help.

Unless you have a very very old system or installed 2.95.3 yourself,
it is highly unlikely that you have that version.  Enter

/usr/bin/g77 --version

/usr/bin/gcc -v

to see what is there.