[daip] aips installation problem

Min S. Yun myun at bonito.astro.umass.edu
Mon Oct 20 12:32:36 EDT 2003

Hi,

My old machine died, so I got a new machine and decided to install
the latest version of aips today.  I downloaded everything (31DEC03)
and ran the install.pl mostly OK.  I received a series of error
messages once the real installation started, and they read like:

AipsWiz:  =====> Deploying your compiler options in script files...
AipsWiz:         CCOPTS.SH done (C Compiler and options)
AipsWiz:         LDOPTS.SH done (Linker)
AipsWiz:         FDEFAULT.SH done (Fortran compiler and options)
WARNING!  The structure of
/usr/aips/31DEC03/LINUX/SYSTEM/UMASS/FDEFAULT.SH
          is very complex, and while this wizard install
          tries VERY hard to change the right section,
          it may have failed.  Please, PLEASE inspect the
          file and compare it to the original (saved as
          FDEFAULT.SH.dist in /usr/aips/31DEC03/LINUX/SYSTEM/UMASS)
          to make sure the settings are right.  Do this
          BEFORE you proceed any further.
          THIS IS REQUIRED FOR THE 2.95.3 COMPILER IN LINUX
AipsWiz: ==> Press <ENTER> after you have verified FDEFAULT.SH::
AipsWiz:  =====> Compile Utility Programs (if needed) in
/usr/aips/31DEC03/LINUX/SYSTEM/UMASS...
AipsWiz: Compiling F2PS...
AipsWiz: Compiling F2TEXT...
AipsWiz: Compiling NEWEST...
AipsWiz: Compiling PRINTENV...
AipsWiz: Compiling AIPWD...
AipsWiz: Compiling REVENV...
AipsWiz:         - Compiling ZTRLOP.c...
AipsWiz:         - done.  Now try building the PP preprocessor...
AipsWiz: /usr/bin/g77 -O -o PP.EXE PP.f ZTRLOP.o
AipsWiz:         - that seemed to work.
AipsWiz:  =====> Make the XAS TV Server from source if needed...
AipsWiz: About to unpack the XAS.SHR archive.
AipsWiz: Building the UNSHR program for LINUX...
AipsWiz: UNSHR.LINUX built in `pwd`
AipsWiz: About to run XAS.SHR through UNSHR (ignore the prompt)...
  Enter the name of the archive:
AipsWiz: Done.
AipsWiz: About to try to make XAS...

rm -f *.o xas XAS
c xas.c
make: c: Command not found
make: [xas.o] Error 127 (ignored)
c image.c
make: c: Command not found
make: [image.o] Error 127 (ignored)
c comm.c
make: c: Command not found
make: [comm.o] Error 127 (ignored)
c cursor.c
make: c: Command not found
make: [cursor.o] Error 127 (ignored)
c screen.c
make: c: Command not found
make: [screen.o] Error 127 (ignored)
c init.c
make: c: Command not found
make: [init.o] Error 127 (ignored)
c colors.c
make: c: Command not found
make: [colors.o] Error 127 (ignored)
c catalog.c
make: c: Command not found
make: [catalog.o] Error 127 (ignored)
xas.o image.o comm.o cursor.o screen.o init.o colors.o catalog.o -lXext
-lX11 -lm  -o xas
make: xas.o: Command not found
make: *** [xas] Error 127
AipsWiz: Error: Failed to build the XAS program.
AipsWiz: Error: This means no AIPS TV will be available.
AipsWiz: ==> Press <ENTER> to acknowledge::

This sort of reads like there are problems with the compilers.
I have looked at FDEFAULT.SH file, but I am not too familiar
with this sort of things.  It appears my g77 is version 2.95,
and I may need to uncomment some of the things relevant for
this particular version in FDEFAULT.SH?  Thanks for your help.

				-- Min

Min S. Yun				e-mail: myun at astro.umass.edu
Associate Professor			phone:  (413) 545-2215
Astronomy Department			FAX:    (413) 545-4223
University of Massachusetts             http://www.astro.umass.edu/~myun
Amherst, MA 01003