[daip] Mac OS X AIPS install crash

Schuyler D. Van Dyk vandyk at ipac.caltech.edu
Fri Nov 28 15:52:13 EST 2003

Dear AIPS:

I am installing 31DEC03 on a new Mac G4 laptop running Panther and got as
far as running INSTEP4, before the install crashed.

I had downloaded and installed the various packages (g77, etc.) from the
latest version of FINK.  But, I had not yet unpacked the X11 SDK, since I
was assuming that it was already installed, along with X11 (which comes
with Panther).

When running the Install Wizard, I had gotten complaints about the XAS
install, which I assume is related to the fact that the SDK had not yet
been unpacked and installed (I have since unpacked it).

During the INSTEP script, there are complaints of "wimpy compiler" at
various stages, e.g.,

LINK      :            -o
/Users/vandyk/AIPS/31DEC03/MACPPC/PREP/POPSGN.EXE
/usr/bin/ld: warning prebinding disabled because dependent library:
/sw/lib/libncurses.5.dylib is not prebound
/usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
restFP
saveFP
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
LINK      : Status from /sw/bin/g77 is 1
LINK      : Link of    /Users/vandyk/AIPS/31DEC03/MACPPC/PREP/POPSGN.o
LINK      : dies from wimpy compiler
LINK      : Dies of unnatural causes.
COMLNK    : Link failed!
COMLNK    : Deleted    /Users/vandyk/AIPS/31DEC03/MACPPC/PREP/POPSGN.o
COMLNK    : Deleted    /Users/vandyk/AIPS/31DEC03/MACPPC/PREP/POPSGN.f
COMLNK    : Date       Fri Nov 28 12:09:12 PST 2003

etc., then finally it bombs at

LINK      :            -lncurses \
LINK      :              \
LINK      :            -o
/Users/vandyk/AIPS/31DEC03/MACPPC/PREP/SETTVP.EXE
/usr/bin/ld: warning prebinding disabled because dependent library:
/sw/lib/libncurses.5.dylib is not prebound
LINK      : Moved      /Users/vandyk/AIPS/31DEC03/MACPPC/PREP/SETTVP.EXE
LINK      : to         /Users/vandyk/AIPS/31DEC03/MACPPC/LOAD/SETTVP.EXE
LINK      : Delete     /Users/vandyk/AIPS/31DEC03/MACPPC/PREP/SETTVP.o
LINK      : Link of    /Users/vandyk/AIPS/31DEC03/MACPPC/PREP/SETTVP.o
LINK      : ends successfully.
COMLNK    : Deleted    /Users/vandyk/AIPS/31DEC03/MACPPC/PREP/SETTVP.f
COMLNK    : Changed    /Users/vandyk/AIPS/31DEC03/AIPS/PGM/SETTVP.FOR
COMLNK    : in
/Users/vandyk/AIPS/31DEC03/MACPPC/INSTALL/AIPPGM.LIS
COMLNK    : to         -/Users/vandyk/AIPS/31DEC03/AIPS/PGM/SETTVP.FOR
COMLNK    : Dies of unnatural causes
INSTEP4    : Failure in $AIPPGM/...
INSTEP4    : compiling/linking.
INSTEP4    : Dies of unnatural causes at Fri Nov 28 12:09:27 PST 2003
AipsWiz: Error: INSTEP4 failed, no point in proceeding.

The routines , then, that did not get linked properly are:
AIPS.FOR, AIPSB.FOR, AIPSC.FOR, BATER.FOR, DAIP.FOR, GRIPR.FOR, and
POPSGN.FOR .

Any help, including how to restart the script, on what may have happened
here is greatly appreciated!  Please let me know if there are any further
details that you require.

Thanks!

Schuyler Van Dyk
vandyk at ipac.caltech.edu