[daip] AIPS installation

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Nov 17 13:54:15 EST 2003

Miguel de Val Borro writes:
 > On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 10:19:10AM -0700, Eric Greisen wrote:
 > > I have found the error
 > >
 > > Edit install.pl to add the 2nd and 3rd lines below between the 1st and
 > > 4th lines which you will find in your copy of install.pl.  My
 > > recommendation to find your system version is still the preferred way
 > > to go...
 > >

 > >     say "Unpacking the READLINE.SHR archive...";
 > >     $target = "$SYSUNIX/READLINE.SHR";
 > >     symlink($target, "READLINE.SHR");
 > >     system("sh ./READLINE.SHR");
 >
 > Actually there are still some errors at some point in the installation:
 >
 > /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lncurses
 > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

ncurses is a file that you absolutely have somewhere - your
$LD_LIBRARY_PATH is incorreect or inadequate.  In fact I change from
termcap to ncurses because of your flavor of LInux - RedHat still has
both.  See your system manager for help

 > LINK      : Status from /usr/bin/g77 is 1
 > LINK      : Link of    /afs/astro.su.se//pkg/AIPS/31DEC03/LINUX/PREP/SETTVP.o
 > LINK      : dies from wimpy compiler
 > LINK      : Dies of unnatural causes.
 > COMLNK    : Link failed!
 > COMLNK    : Deleted    /afs/astro.su.se//pkg/AIPS/31DEC03/LINUX/PREP/SETTVP.o
 > COMLNK    : Deleted    /afs/astro.su.se//pkg/AIPS/31DEC03/LINUX/PREP/SETTVP.f
 > COMLNK    : Dies of unnatural causes
 > INSTEP4    : Failure in $AIPPGM/...
 > INSTEP4    : compiling/linking.
 > INSTEP4    : Dies of unnatural causes at Mon Nov 17 19:39:46 CET 2003
 > AipsWiz: Error: INSTEP4 failed, no point in proceeding.
 > AipsWiz: Error: Look in /afs/astro.su.se//pkg/AIPS/31DEC03/LINUX/INSTALL to see
 > AipsWiz: Error: if you can figure out what went wrong.  There are
 > AipsWiz: Error: many log and list files there.  You may want to do
 >

 > And a feww more "Dies of unnatural causes. Link Failed!" appear before
 > this message.
 >
 > Do you have an archive where one could download previous versions of the
 > 31DEC03 release?

This is your system problem and is not due to any recent change we
have made.  I assume that -ltermcap would have worked no better on
your machine.