[daip] AIPS installation

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Nov 17 11:55:38 EST 2003

Miguel de Val Borro writes:
 > Hello,
 >
 > I'm trying to install AIPS 31DEC03 and the following error appears
 > during installation:
 >
 > AipsWiz:  =====> Configuring READLINE library...
 > AipsWiz: Unpacking the READLINE.SHR archive...
 > ./READLINE.SHR: ./READLINE.SHR: No such file or directory
 > AipsWiz: Error: Unpacking READLINE.SHR failed!
 > AipsWiz: Error: There seems to be no 'configure' file in the
 > AipsWiz: Error: /afs/astro.su.se//pkg/AIPS/31DEC03/LINUX/LIBR/GNU/ directory.
 > AipsWiz: Error: Proceeding further now will cause INSTEP3/INSTEP4
 > AipsWiz: Error: to fail when they try to link any AIPS tasks.
 > AipsWiz: Error: Check why the sh READLINE.SHR failed.
 >

 > It seems that /31DEC03/LINUX/LIBR/GNU/ doesn't have a configure file, how
 > can that be fixed?

Can you tell me the following:

1. The date on the install.pl and the tar ball you are using
2. The type of computer that you are using

I changed the file READLINE.SHR that we send out and install.pl
recently to make the unpacking work in the usual manner - not the
cumbersome way we used to use.  It is likely that I have made an error
and need to correct this somehow.  I tried testing things but our
LInux boxes all have readline provided in the operating system and so
AIPS points at that rather than using the antique readline we ship.