[daip] Re: cookbook

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Nov 17 13:50:04 EST 2003

douglas bock writes:

 > What it does is to substitute the Latex bitmapped fonts for standard
 > postscript fonts. So, if anything, it should print more reliably on
 > postscript devices. The .pdf name makes sense to the average user (who
 > wants pdf)  but is strictly a bit of a misnomer. You can find out more
 > about this by searching on the web.

    gv looks cleaner with the PostScript fonts but it is okay.

 > Things look very slightly different with the different font, but I have
 > never had any troubles. Even the ps prints with better resolution on ps
 > printers.
 >
 > I use the ps2pdf that comes with ghostscript (we have version 7.04).
 >
 > I just tried a test file. I used dvip -Ppdf on paso, but your ps2pdf broke
 > on this.  Using ps2pdf in Berkeley it works (perhaps your gs would need to
 > be updated).

        ps2pdf seems to work fine on my machine (Linux) - perhaps it
is only the few now neglected Solaris machines that are out of date.
Acroread at 100% shows some things as blurred boxes (okay at 125%) but
does offer the search capability.  Do remember that we have an index
chapter that I have put a lot of work into.

Pat Murphy was pushing pdflatex on me but that seems unable to read
PostScript files as figures and perhaps has other problems as well.

 > If you send me a latex file for a cookbook chapter (with equations) I
 > could quickly test on our system and show you the result.

    I don't thing there is a need - the system is messier with a
CookBook.tex that includes the chapters or includeonly and macro files
etc.  I will fix things to also make a .PDF file and make that
available on the web.

Thanks,