[daip] Setting up AIPS

Patrick P Murphy pmurphy at nrao.edu
Wed Nov 12 09:37:49 EST 2003

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 16:33:51 -0700, Ed Anderson <ed.anderson at NAU.EDU> said:

> Trivial question ... I think I've missed it in the documentation.

> How exactly are the AIPS user accounts to be set up?

There's no setup per se; the user numbers are a VLA-originated
convention for convenience, mostly; see 31DEC03/DOC/TEXT/USERNO.LIS.
Anyone who's observed with the VLA probably has an AIPS usernumber in
there somewhere.

> When I login in as user #1, it asks for a password ... but I haven't
> created any yet (I think).

Aips user#1 is special and akin to "root"; it's reserved for the AIPS
manager.  It has the power (via the password command inside AIPS) to
change other user passwords without knowing them beforehand.  The
predefined password is AMANAGER (uppercase).  You should probably change
it.

There's no password set on the other usernumbers by default, but the
single-digit ones (1-9) were at one point reserved, I think.  The
scientists who've done VLA or VLBA observing at your institution may
already have one.  If you or others don't have one, pick an unused
number.

The analysts at the AOC are, I believe, the keepers of USERNO.LIS so if
you want an entry in there (you don't need one unless you'll be visiting
or observing), contact them.

				- Pat
--
 Patrick P. Murphy, Ph.D.           Division Head, CV Computing, NRAO
 Home: http://goof.com/~pmurphy/    Work: http://www.nrao.edu/~pmurphy/