[daip] DA01:MSD001000.001;

Patrick P Murphy pmurphy at nrao.edu
Wed Nov 5 16:36:17 EST 2003

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 15:42:20 -0500 (EST), Alvaro Labiano
   <labiano at stsci.edu> said:

> I am an AIPS user in Space Telescope Science Institute. Everything was
> working fine untill they changed the version (old: 31DEC99, new: 31DEC03).
> This is the error message (right when I start AIPS):

>  ZMSGOP: FILE DA01:MSD001000.001;      NOT FOUND

This particular message is harmless; it'll go away when you enter AIPS
as user#1 and have a clean exit therefrom.

> AIPS 1: ZDCHIN: NO NETSP ENTRY FOR DA01

If you're the "aips manager", you need to edit $AIPS_ROOT/DA00/NETSP and
fill in some information abou the data areas in the DADEVS.LIST file in
the same area.  If you're not (Harry Payne might be?), then please pass
this note on to whomever is.

> XASERVERS: Start XAS on nashville, DISPLAY :0.0
> XAS: ***********************************
> XAS: **  No TrueColor found
> XAS: **  Resorting to PseudoColor
> XAS: ***********************************
> XAS: Using screen width height 1270 924, max grey level 196

The XAS TV didn't find a 24-bit (truecolor) environment, so it throttled
back to 8-bit display.  This is probably ok, unless you wanted the
former (and if so, it's an X11 issue).

> XAS: ***  Using shared memory option for speed ***
> Shared memory id failure: No space left on device

You can fix this for a single session via:

    echo "AIPStv*useSharedMemory: 0" | xrdb -merge

from the unix command line, or make it more permanent in a .Xdefaults
file (assuming your unix environment actually uses such a file; some do,
some ignore it).  What's happening here is that you're unable to use
shared memory for some reason, perhaps because the system thinks
"nashville" isn't the local host.  In any event, this hack above will at
least get you started.

> I went to my "data" directories and there in no MSD001000.001; file.

It's the message file for user#1, into which messages that occur prior
to you supplying an AIPS usernumber will go.

				- Pat