[forwarded from Hiroshi IMAI] Re: [daip] START_AIPS

Patrick P Murphy pmurphy at nrao.edu
Tue May 27 10:53:49 EDT 2003

------- start of forwarded message (RFC 934 encapsulation) -------
From: Hiroshi IMAI <imai at jive.nl>
To: Patrick P Murphy <pmurphy at nrao.edu>
Subject: Re: [daip] START_AIPS
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 09:47:57 +0200
	DEAR_SOMEBODY, IN_REP_TO, LINES_OF_YELLING, SPAM_PHRASE_01_02,
	USER_AGENT, USER_AGENT_MACOE)

Dear Pat,

We have just recovered the problem. The cause was what you explained in the
final part of the previous e-mail.

We aknowledge you for kind help.

Best regards,

Hiroshi

> It's a holiday here in the US today (Memorial day) so Eric and others
> may not be accessible.  I may be able to offer some advice from the
> sidelines, however.
>
> On Mon, 26 May 2003 14:51:44 +0200, Hiroshi IMAI <imai at jive.nl> said:
>
>> ZLOCK: No locks available
>> ZERROR: ON FILE TSTMEM:MED000000;
>> ZERROR: IN ZDAOPN ERRND = 37 (No locks available)
>
> Is your $TSTMEM area ($AIPS_VERSION/$ARCH/MEMORY) on a NFS-mounted file
> system?  If so, is it possible to do fcntl()-style file locking on files
> on that partition?  These are system questions, clearly.  There is a
> utility/diagnostic program in $SYSUNIX called WHOLOCKED.C that may help
> (it needs copied to wholocked.c and compiled before you can run it).
>
> I suspect file locking is the root of the problem.  When we had this
> message appear on our systems years ago, it was usually because one of
> the NFS daemons on either the client or the server was misbehaving or
> not running.  Generally there are two daemons: statd and lockd, though
> they may be called rpc.statd or rpc.lockd instead.
>
>> To understand these messages, we have made some trials, e.g.
>> exchange START_AIPS and MED000000; to the older version files,
>
> That won't help if NFS file locking is not working.
>
>> We would like to understand what happend and
>> to which AIPS complains only in the LINUX machine.
>
> Ah.  What version of Linux, and are you running these:
>
> portmap
> nfs
> nfslock
>
> (on my Red Hat 8.0 system, a "chkconfig --list" shows many services,
> including these three; portmap is its own RPM and the other two are in
> the nfs-utils RPM).
>
> Hope this helps.
> - Pat
        *          Hiroshi IMAI, Ph.D.
 *             *   EVN Support Scientist,   E-mail: imai at jive.nl
     European
*     VLBI      *
      Network       Joint Institute for VLBI in Europe (JIVE)
 *             *    Postbus 2, 7990 AA Dwingeloo, the Netherlands
   *         *      Tel: +31 521 596540 (Office) FAX: +31 521 597332
        *           URL: www.jive.nl/~imai