[daip] compress

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Mon May 26 18:42:36 EDT 2003

James M Anderson writes:
 > >compress
 > AIPS 1: ZTXOP2: FILE TO BE WRITTEN ALREADY EXISTS
 > AIPS 1: DELETE PRE-EXISTING COMPRESS SCRATCH FILE
 >

 > So what file am I supposed to delete?  I'm running on Diana.

    Try reading what you sent to us:

 > Earlier today, VLBACALA died for some reason and told me to run
 > compress.  When I ran compress, it complained about some variable H.
 > I then tried to rerun VLBACALA, but AIPS didn't know what that was so
 > I had to RUN VLBAUTIL.  After that, I tried to compress, and got the
 > above.
 >

 > AIPS 1 16:07:04 vlbacala
 > ACCOR1 16:07:04 Task ACCOR  (release of 31DEC03) begins
 > ACCOR1 16:07:04 Writing to SN table   1
 > ACCOR1 16:10:55 Appears to have ended successfully
 > ACCOR1 16:10:55 diana        31DEC03 TST: Cpu=      47.3  Real=     231
 > AIPS 1 16:10:55 Resumes
 > AIPS 1 16:10:55 MISSING ADVERB: TRY A 'COMPRESS' OR 'HELP NOADVERB' FOR INFO
 > AIPS 1 16:10:55 SYMBOL?       DOBTWEEN

   There are new adverbs, you will need a compress (or restore 0)

 > AIPS 1 16:11:22 compress
 > AIPS 1 16:11:22 SYMBOL?       H

    This suggests that you got a BLEW CORE! message and so have a
broken (truncated) procedure which causes compress to fail.

 > AIPS 1 16:11:22 RUN FILE: $RUNFIL/COMPdian.1.1RU
 > AIPS 1 16:11:22 AFTER FIXING PROBLEMS AND RENAMIMG TO DROP PERIOD
 > AIPS 1 16:11:22 PROTECTED => REDEFINING STANDARD PROC/ADVERB

This is what compress told you to do - and that includes the file that
needs to be fixed and RUN or at least deleted.  But, so long as you
have that broken proc, compress will not work.  Either fix the
problem, or start over with a RESTORE 0.