[daip] Problems with TV

Brian Pohl bpohl at physics.unc.edu
Mon May 19 15:02:57 EDT 2003

Greetings AIP of the day,

I should first point out that I have never used, much less installed, any
version of AIPS.  I am a complete newbie.  But, being the local IRAF guru,
i've been asked to install and configure AIPS for our department computers.

I can say that i've sucessfully compiled AIPS and placed it in our AFS
common diskspace.  I have further configured a number of machines as AIPS
hosts executing from AFS.

my test user, a local grad student who knows how to use AIPS, has been
helping me test the installation.  We have immediately stumbled on the
following problem.

the message server and tex server load and execute properly (as near as we
can tell).  the proper services have been added to /etc/services as the
installation instructions suggest.  however, the TV will not open.  my test
user has been unable to generate graphics based on some sample data.

the Site Manager FAQ suggests that this problem is caused by running the
display in something other than 8 or 24 bit mode (eg. 16 bit), however I
have verified that the computer is in 24 bit mode.  hrmmmm...

a log of aips reports when we try to execute a display is listed beneath
my signature.

for what its worth, this is compiled and installed on a Solaris 7
workstation.

if there's anything you could suggest, i would be more than delighted.

best regards and many thanks,

bri.

Brian Pohl

Assistant Unix Administrator	UNC Dept. of Physics and Astronomy
Phllips hall rm. 249		  Networking, Infrastructure and Computing
phone: 919-962-6494	            http://www.panic.unc.edu

	"To err is human.  To really screw up requires a computer."