[daip] Re: NOT a TVFLG bug -- cal. pos'n changes between fast-switching scans

Michael Rupen mrupen at aoc.nrao.edu
Sun May 4 19:34:05 EDT 2003

Hi Ken,

  from your note I gather that the position recorded by AIPS is most
likely correct, and that that position does indeed change.  If so I would
much prefer AIPS to do exactly what it does now -- issue a warning message
in FILLM, change the name to something unique, and record the actual
positions that were used during the observations.  This seems to me a
feature rather than a bug on AIPS' part.  For the on-line system, this
won't matter except for very precise referencing, and there the observer
will have to look at the position recorded with the data anyhow.

  I'm assuming that the *reported* position at observe time, the one
recorded on the data tape, is accurate to a milliarcsecond or better.
Is that correct?

  Cheers,

             Michael