[daip] Problem running AIPS 31DEC03 on MacOS X 10.2.4 system

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Tue Mar 25 14:45:43 EST 2003

Juan Cabanela writes:

 >     First of all I have discovered that AIPS doesn't apparently play nice
 > with the power manager on MacOS X.  If I place the machine in "sleep" mode,
 > it locks up.  It only seems to do with with AIPS running.  I don't see an
 > obvious fix except exiting AIPS before sleeping the computer.

      I did not notice this but I am not sure I triend it either.
Unfortunately, I do not have a Mac and used borrowed ones to do this
port.  We are asking for funds to get one.  Whhen exiting aips I
recommend the command KLEENEX, which also shuts down the servers.

 >    A more annoying problem.  Since my machine locked up, I have not been
 > able to start up AIPS properly.  I don't know if the problem is due to the
 > locking up of my machine (as opposed to cleanly exiting AIPS) or due to the
 > fact that I have moved to a new location and the PowerBook has a new IP
 > address.  The problem is simple to describe.
 >
 > 1) I type "start_aips" (aliased to /usr/local/AIPS/START_AIPS)
 > 2) Accept the default printer.
 > 3) The START_AIPS script then goes through it's various mechanizations,
 >    starts the message server, the TEK server, and the TV server.  However...
 >
 >    The TV server doesn't appear (although the TEK and MSG servers do).
 > Then, after about a 30 second wait, I get the program reporting an error in
 > opening a file.  I enter my user number, and the program dies, reporting it
 > is unable to open another file.  I am attaching the output below.
 >
 >    Any ideas would be appreciated, I hope to be back to my normal location
 > and IP address later this evening, so maybe I can check if this works
 > there... But the whole point of having AIPS on a laptop is to make it
 > portable, so if there is something in the configuration I need to fix to
 > accomplish this, let me know.
 >
 > P.S. - Notes on the run
 > * /usr/local/AIPS/DATA/BARYON is a local directory and accessible.
 > * X11 is running (Apple's latest X11) and configured to accept connections
 >   from this IP address.
 >
 > OUTPUT FROM START_AIPS
 > --Begin---------
 > [S229:~] juan% start_aips
 >
 > You have a choice of 3 printers.  These are:
 >
 >     No. [ type  ] Description
 >      1. [     PS] L104
 >      2. [PS-CMYK] SEC
 >      3. [PS-CMYK] OBS
 >
 > START_AIPS: Enter your choice, or the word QUIT [default is 1]:
 > START_AIPS: Your initial AIPS printer is the L104
 > START_AIPS:  - system name INSC_L104_HP2200DN_PHYSICS, AIPS type PS
 >
 > START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
 >   (Using global default file /usr/local/AIPS/DA00/DADEVS.LIST)
 >    Disk 1 (1) is /usr/local/AIPS/DATA/BARYON
 >
 > Tape assignments:
 >    Tape 1 is REMOTE
 >    Tape 2 is REMOTE
 >
 > START_AIPS: I am GUESSING you are at a workstation called s229

     It has gotten the wrong system name for your machine and is hence
looking for control files in the area $NET0/S229 rather than
$NET0/BARYON.

 > XAS: ***  Using shared memory option for speed ***
 > Shared memory id failure: Cannot allocate memory

    I have not seen this error in Macs until now.  I suspect that the
shared memory segments remain allocated from the locked up time and
need to be unlocked.  Usually, one is just allowed to allocate more
and the failure occurs when all memory is used up, but Mac may put
more stringent limits on shared memory.  There is a command - at least
on Linux - called ipcs to show shared memory segments among other
things.  You might try that.

 > ZDCHI1: ZOPEN: FILE DA00:SPD000000;          NOT FOUND
 > AIPS 1: ZOPEN: FILE DA00:SPD000000;          NOT FOUND
 > AIPS 1: ZOPEN: FILE DA00:PWD000000;          NOT FOUND

These come from the change of name.  This is a problem with laptops
which get connected at various points/times into larger systems.
There is a way to get your system to always, on a "uname -n" return
the same string.  That will get you out of this name changing
problem.

Normally we make aips or AIPS links to $AIPS_ROOT/START_AIPS in your
$SYSLOCAL.  When you log in, source $AIPS_ROOT/LOGIN.CSH and the
$SYSLOCAL will be added to your path and other logicals set.

I hope this helps...