[daip] PROBLEMS WITH CAPELLA EXABYTE AW543

Jennifer Wiseman jwiseman at pha.jhu.edu
Fri Jun 20 22:00:45 EDT 2003

Dear Gayle,

I am having real problems storing
my data files to take back with me!
I cannot seem to write AIPS files to
EXABYTE tape from Capella!
And an exabyte drive is all I have back
at my home institution -- no dat!

PLEASE don't delete anything on CAPELLA for
a few days!

Here's the error I get when I try to write to
exabyte!

capell> FITTP1: Task FITTP  (release of 31DEC03) begins
capell> FITTP1: Writing to tape drive number   1
capell> FITTP1: Writing at current tape position
capell> FITTP1: Writing beginning-of-write EOFs
capell> FITTP1: ZTAPE: LUN 31 IO ERROR AT   1 OP OF BEGW/BEGW SYS ERR CODE
0005
capell> FITTP1: ZERROR: IN ZTAP2 ERRNO = 5 (Input/output error)
capell> FITTP1: ERROR     3 BEGINNING WRITES WITH EOFS
capell> FITTP1: Purports to die of UNNATURAL causes
capell> FITTP1: capella      31DEC03 TST: Cpu=       0.0  Real=       0

I've tried different strategies with several
people here (Stan Kurtz, Jim Ulvestad, etc.) today to
make this work (by cleaning the tape drive, trying
 a different remote tape drive, trying a different
tape, etc.) but nothing works!

So,
could you please NOT delete my data on Capella
(either within AIPS or in the /aips/jwiseman or
FITS areas) for a few days, so that I can
continue to write all these files out of AIPS
to the FITS area and then FTP them over to
my home institution?   (Also, please let
me still have AIPS access on Capella,
I am AIPS ID 1765.)

I am now trying to write most of it to the FITS
area on CAPELLA_1, and then
when I get back to my home institution,
FTP it over.   But I am running out of time
even for that and must head to ABQ pronto.

Sorry about this; I've never had troubles
writing to exabyte before.  And I tried three
different machines so it may be a systematic
problem rather than a problem with a particular
drive.

thanks,
hopefully I can deal with this remotely
by early next week,