[daip] Install questions

Craig Walker cwalker at aoc.nrao.edu
Tue Jun 17 00:14:31 EDT 2003

I am trying to install the 31DEC03 AIPS on my machine at home
and am running into problems.  I am on a Pentium IV with RedHat 9.
The default compiler for RedHat 9 is gcc/g77 version 3.2.2-5.

The AIPS web site indicates that the 3.2 compiler needs "changed
compiler options" to achieve reasonable performance.  But, despite
looking quite hard, I was unable to find out what those options should
be.  Would you please let me know what they are, and put that
information on the web site (or am I blind)?  Also, where do they need
to be set?

I am running install.pl anyway, hoping to drop out before the actual
compiles.  I set /usr/bin/g77 as the fortran complier but did not
change any options, yet.  When it got to the stage of making XAS,
(starting compilations before I expected it to) it used
/usr/local/gcc-2.95.3/bin/bin/gcc for the C complier.  I have such a
compler left over from my RedHat 7.2 days, but I don't know if it
still works in my system so I was not planning to use it (I did make a
stab at reinstalling it, but configure did not recognize my HOST.  I
suppose it might be because my Linux is much newer than the downloaded
compiler.  This looked like a slippery slope so I decided not to go
that way.).  I did nothing to point to that compiler during this
install.  It must have been remembered from the 31DEC02 install.  This
doesn't seem like the desired action.

Earlier, when setting up the disks, it also seemed to have a very
dated memory.  The defaults it offered up were not what were in my
DADEVS etc, but what I had at the time of the 31DEC02 install, which
had changed since.  Again, I don't know where that information came
from.  More or less the same thing happened with printers - it
remembered what I had at the last install, not what I now have in
PRDEVS.LIST.  Does all of this indicate that there is some file left
from the 31DED02 install that I should have deleted or renamed?  I
don't see such instructions.

There was another oddity in FDEFAULT.SH which install.pl suggested
I check.  The first active line in the file is:
COMPILER="fort77"
Later that is overridden with:
      COMPILER=/usr/bin/g77
But it seems odd to have it there in the first place.

I am confused by the LAPTOP environment variable in LOGIN.SH.
A YES indicates that it is for a portable computer.  But what distinguishes
a portable computer?  If it is the fact that it is not normally on the
net, that would also apply to my home machine.  What is it for?

That's it for now.  I was hoping to install AIPS tonight, but I'll have
to wait for the compile options.  Also, I will need to recompile those
items that were done with 2.95, I think, for consistency.  Is there a
shortcut to doing that now that they have already been "done"?

Cheers,

Craig