[daip] Red Hat 9.0

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Fri Jun 6 10:32:43 EDT 2003

Nordgren, Tyler writes:

 > Do you know if anyone has had problems installing and running AIPS on Red
 > Hat 9.0? Does it have the same compiler problems as Red Hat 7.0 - 7.2 you
 > mention on your page?

I have now done several test compiles on RH 9.  There were a couple of
problems with C routines not up to current specifications (that apply
to RH 7 also).  Those are fixed if you fetch a recent 31DEC.tar.gz.

RH 9 comes with /usr/bin/g77 version 3.2.2.  This requires you to go
into the $SYSLOCAL/FDEFAULT.SH file to change the OPT2 option as
     OPT2='-O2'
rather than the 3-4 lines of gobbldy-gook that are there now.

This compiler works okay, but the code is in fact still about 10%
slower than with the 2.95.3.  It does avoid some
soon-to-be-unsupported things that are in the 2.95.3 libraries and so
may have to be the way we all go.  It doez beat installing ones own
compiler all the time...