[daip] external tape drive and AIPS

Patrick P Murphy pmurphy at nrao.edu
Thu Jul 31 18:37:22 EDT 2003

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 15:20:23 -0700, "Nordgren, Tyler"
   <Tyler_Nordgren at redlands.edu> said:

> Hi there,
> I've just bought and hooked up an external exabyte drive for my
> machine. I am trying to get AIPS to recognize it and include it in the
> list of tape devices upon start-up, but am failing. I have edited the
> aips/DA00/TPDEVS.LIST file.  It now reads:

> # Host     Device-name    Comment
> 206.208.130.216           /dev/nst0     'Exabyte on Tycho'

No.  You have to put the simple, uppercase, non-qualified hostname under
the "host" setting.  So if your system has hostname tycho (and presuming
you are running AIPS on tycho), you would put this in TPDEVS.LIST:

# Host     Device-name    Comment
TYCHO      /dev/nst0      Exabyte on Tycho

(there's no need for the quotes around the comment; fields 3 and beyond
are assumed to be the description).

What's failing is that the startup scripts know you're on "TYCHO" but
there's no match on that hostname in the TPDEVS.LIST file, hence the
entry above gets ignored.

				- Pat
--
   Patrick P. Murphy, Ph.D.              Division Head, CV Computing, NRAO
   Home: http://goof.com/~pmurphy/       Work: http://www.nrao.edu/~pmurphy/