[daip] Re: AIPS installation problems

Patrick P Murphy pmurphy at nrao.edu
Wed Jul 30 12:15:09 EDT 2003

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 13:02:15 -0600, Eric Greisen <egreisen at nrao.edu> said:

> Casey Law writes:

>> I am trying to install the latest (31Dec03) AIPS onto my Redhat
>> Linux 9 system, but am having problems.  I saw your name listed as the

>> Second, the first (partial) failure came when trying to make XAS,
>> which seems to enable the TV.  Here's a few of the errors during
>> compiling:
>>
>> ----------------
>> AipsWiz: About to try to make XAS...
>>
>> rm -f *.o xas XAS
>> /usr/local/bin/gcc  -D_BSD -DUSE_SHM -O2 -c xas.c
>> In file included from xas.c:31:
>> xas.h:52:22: X11/Xlib.h: No such file or directory

You may not have the XFree86-devel package installed.  This is a
requirement for compiling and linking any X11 application.  Try:

            rpm -q XFree86-devel

on the (unix) command line to check.  If it's not installed, install it
(from CD if needed) via:

            rpm -Uvh /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS/XFree86-devel-4.3.0-2.rpm

or equivalent (the path and filename may be slightly different).

If I missed a reply from Eric about this issue, sorry; I'm struggling
through about 800 new messages after being away for two weeks!

				- Pat