[daip] XSMTH

Lynn D. Matthews lmatthew at cfa.harvard.edu
Thu Jul 24 09:32:20 EDT 2003

I have a question regarding the task XSMTH. In the case that OPCODE='smot'
and NPOINTS is set to some number smaller than the size of the original
vector, what algorithm is used to resample? Is every nth point simply
discarded, or is one of the interpolation algorithms used?

I noticed subtle differences between the case where I convolved with a
Gaussian with NPOINTS=0, then used linear interpolation (OPCODE='inte',
dparm(1)=0, NPOINTS=#) to reduce the number of points versus doing the
Gaussian smoothing and resampling in one step, so I want to be sure I
understand what the code is doing in each case.

Thanks,

Lynn