[daip] TV Problem

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Jul 17 10:56:20 EDT 2003

AIPS Account writes:

 > I have AIPS all up and running on a new machine, but I am having one
 > remaining issue with the tv. I get the following message:
 >
 > XASERVERS: Start XAS on kepler, DISPLAY :0
 > XAS: ***********************************
 > XAS: **  No TrueColor found
 > XAS: **  Resorting to PseudoColor
 > XAS: ***********************************
 > XAS: No pseudocolor visual - No suitable visual: No such file or directory
 >
 > Can you please help me with a workaround. I had a similar issue in
 > GIPSY, but the fix that I did was GIPSY-specific.
 >
 > Thanks,
 > Chris De Pree
 > Agnes Scott College

This probably will not be read - mail from the aips account - but I
will try.  See the AIPS Manager FAQ on the web site
    http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/aips/
The Linux systems all come with a 16-bit "TrueColor" X Windows visual
as the only choice.  This is inadequate to do science so I have
refused to let XAS support it (or no one would do the easy fix to much
better choices).  You need to run either with a 8 bit visual (and
PseudoColor) or preferably a 24 bit visual with a real TrueColor.