[daip] tape trouble

Craig Walker cwalker at aoc.nrao.edu
Wed Jul 2 12:12:51 EDT 2003

I'm getting into trouble trying to read a tape remotely.  I don't do
that often (I have a local tape drive, but it is a DDS1 and I was given a
DDS3 distribution tape).  Recalling from a former life that I should use
tape 3, I put the tape in Joan's drive on pinon and set the mount inputs
to:

AIPS 2: MOUNT:    Verb to software mount a tape
AIPS 2: Adverbs     Values                 Comments
AIPS 2: ----------------------------------------------------------------
AIPS 2: INTAPE        3                    Tape unit # (0=> 1)
AIPS 2: DENSITY    6250                    Density to set on mount.
AIPS 2: REMHOST    'PINON                     Remote computer name
AIPS 2:              '
AIPS 2: REMTAPE       1                    Remote tape drive number

I then issued a mount command and got:
>mount
AIPS 2: Mounted on-line tape device on local host

That didn't seem right, but to check I issued a TPH on intape 3.
That is doing:
>tph
AIPS 2: ZTPOP2: olopen -99
AIPS 2: ZTPOP2: FAILS TO OPEN ON-LINE - RETRY
AIPS 2: ZTPOP2: olopen -99
AIPS 2: ZTPOP2: FAILS TO OPEN ON-LINE - RETRY
AIPS 2: ZTPOP2: olopen -99
AIPS 2: ZTPOP2: FAILS TO OPEN ON-LINE - RETRY
AIPS 2: ZTPOP2: olopen -99
AIPS 2: ZTPOP2: FAILS TO OPEN ON-LINE - RETRY

Taking about a minute or more for each try.  I think I have a
control C in my immediate future.

Meanwhile, in another AIPS that I happened to have up, I decided
to investigate what drive number I should have used.  After apropos tape,
I typed TAPES to see the available tape.  That got this reaction:

>tapes
AIPS 1: ZABORS: signal 7 received
AIPS 1: ABORT!
Illegal instruction (core dumped)
eolus<11>%

So, that is where I sit as I write this.  Now I'll control C the first
AIPS.  That immediately killed the message window, but had no effect
on the main window for about a minute.  It did dismount "local real tape drive 3".

I then restarted AIPS (having my usual problem that the typing of the user number
appears in the message window despite the cursor having been in the main window
all along - but that's a minor annoyance).  I then typed TAPES and it did
something reasonable.  I suspect the core dump above was an interaction of the
two aips processes.  I now see that drives 2 and 3 are for real time.  So much
for the previous life mentioned above.

I then restarted AIPS (having my usual problem that the typing of the user number
appears in the message window despite the cursor having been in the main window
all along - but that's a minor annoyance).  I then typed TAPES and it did
something reasonable.  I suspect the core dump above was an interaction of the
two aips processes.  I now see that drives 2 and 3 are for real time.  So much
for the previous life mentioned above.

So I set up for disk 4 and now I get connection refused.  Perhaps I can't do
this from linux to sun.  Switched to mizar (linux) and the tape mounted ok and tph worked.

Craig

    R. Craig Walker            Array Operations Center
    cwalker at nrao.edu           National Radio Astronomy Observatory
    Phone  505 835 7247        P. O. Box O
    Fax    505 835 7027        Socorro NM 87801   USA