[daip] AIPS cannot find libcurses.so.1 .

Eric Greisen egreisen at aoc.nrao.edu
Wed Jul 2 10:17:37 EDT 2003

Hiroshi IMAI writes:

 > I would like to ask to fix a fatal problem in AIPS happening as follows.
 > After doing the midnight job around this May, 31DEC03 version of AIPS
 > does not work in our JIVE/ASTRON Solaris 6 or SunOS 5.6 version.
 > The error message says that AIPS cannot find the library, libcurses.so.1,
 > which exists in /usr/xpg4/lib/libcurses.so.1. On the other hand, 31DEC02
 > version works properly. We guess that the new START_AIPS script tries to
 > access the library in the different way or the present library
 > libcurses.so.1 has already been time out. Do you have any idea to fix
 > the problem in JIVE? or in NRAO? Thank you very much for kind help.

You will remember that I suggested that your Solaris cron job has a
problem with its $PATH.  In fact, the only problem last time was that
several of your libraries had become corrupted by your MNJ -
prewsumably from using the wrong version of "ar".  This sounds like a
very similar problem.

When a Solaris (in particular) cron job starts it is likely to have
$PATH set only to /usr/bin or some such and no LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  You
may have to revuse do_daily for your solaris machines to set paths
etc