[daip] Re: CLCOR sign conventions

Mark Reid reid at cfa.harvard.edu
Tue Jan 28 15:28:07 EST 2003

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003, Leonia Kogan wrote:

> The CLCOR help file reports:
>
>                                                  The values given at the
>                        zenith delay correspond to the desired correction.
>                        Therefore the given zenith delay should be
>                        subtructed from the full zenith delay.

    I must admit that I interpreted the above to say that the zenith
delays entered are subtracted from the data.  Perhaps the help file should
give an example, as is done in some AIPS tasks which have to explain
position shifts (both signs and the annoying cos(Dec) terms in the
RA vs Eastward offsets).  The example could say something like...

   "If the true zenith delay was 220 cm and the correlator model
used 210 cm, then you should enter -10 cm to fix the data."

> If we take "the desired correction" from the last column of your table
> then the help file recomends wrong sign.
>
> If we take "the desired correction" from the last column of your table
> then the help file recomends wrong sign

     Is this repetition for emphasis?

> If we take "the desired correction" from the second column of your table
> then the help file recomends right sign.
>
> The desired correction is added to the relevant column of the CL table.
> So it should be megative!!!!

    Am I to understand that the corrections in the CL table are
**added** to the data when calibrations are applied.

Mark

Mark J. Reid                 Phone: 617-495-7470
Harvard-Smithsonian CfA      Fax  : 617-495-7345
60 Garden Street             Email: reid at cfa.harvard.edu
Cambridge, MA 02138, USA     Web  : cfa-www.harvard.edu/~reid