[daip] Re: AIPS MOMNT bug freq axis

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Fri Feb 28 12:07:12 EST 2003

Krzysztof Chyzy writes:
 > Asking www.google.com about MOMNT and PBCOR I found at once a few
 > published (refereed) papers in which authors calculated moment
 > maps by MOMNT and then applied PBCOR (not explained in details how).
 > If this way is wrong (I mean applying mean primary beam corrections)
 > then your arguments are not well realized.
 >
 > I also found published papers with moment maps calculated by MOMNT
 > without applying any PB corrections for structures extending
 > more than 10arcmin which gives at least ~1.3 PB (30%) correction.
 > Maybe people even do not know how to apply at least mean PB
 > correction after MOMNT?
 >
 > Maybe the option PBPARM in MOMNT could solve the problem.

    At least it might make some people think.

I am amazed that published papers would go into this detail about what
they have done and in what order.  A good thing in this case.  But
Iremember a case where the referree refused to accept a paper when the
AIPS tasks were mentioned without a published paper on each one!  He
was happy when the author removed the references to the tasks.