[daip] Re: ZLOCK problem

Jeff Uphoff juphoff at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Wed Feb 12 18:38:35 EST 2003

"EG" == Eric Greisen <egreisen at nrao.edu> writes:

EG> The problem arises in your operating system I believe.  In order for
EG> file locking to work, certain daemon  processes must be running.  One
EG> of these is lockd but there is another one too whose name I am not
EG> remembering.  I am assuming you are running linux, and the author of
EG> that part of the Linux kernel is supposed to be in this building but I
EG> cannot find him.

The daemon to which Eric refers is rpc.statd.

Both lockd and statd should be started at system boot by the script
/etc/rc.d/init.d/nfslock

(Note that lockd only need be started at boot for kernel versions prior
to 2.2.18: after that version, it is invoked internally by the kernel,
automatically.)

These daemons operate independent of inetd.

Your best bet is probably to dredge up a sysadmin and have him
investigate why file-locking is broken on your system.

--Up.