[daip] PASSWD

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Dec 3 11:45:58 EST 2003

Nectaria Gizani writes:
 > 	Hello,
 >
 > I have just installed succesfully aips (!) under Redhat LINUX 9.0.
 >
 > A "simple" question: Why does aips need a PASSWD? To explain more, the
 > problem is the following:
 > I type:
 >
 > $ START_AIPS tv=local
 >
 > aips writes its messages....
 >
 > and asks for ID number, where I put "1" and then asks for a password,
 > which is not the password of me as a user or of the root user.
 >
 > I would appreciate your help!

We have the ability to let users put passwords on their files if they
want - it used to be that many users used one machine and shared some
of the structures.  The aips manager is user 1 and has special
privileges.  The password by default is set for this one user and is
AMANAGER.

All other user numbers start with no password.