[daip] Re: aips DA=jansky

Patrick P Murphy pmurphy at nrao.edu
Thu Aug 21 12:43:23 EDT 2003

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 10:48:58 -0500 (CDT), Daniel Johannsson
   <djohanns at northwestern.edu> said:

> That answers the question even before I could type it out in more detail.
> Are there any other options for data sharing between Solaris/Sparc and
> Linux/x86 aips systems then?  To just have aips read data from a remote
> nfs filesystem without using the DA= method?

The solution is to convert the AIPS data to FITS format (as I indirectly
said in the previous message).  FITS data files are always in network
order (big-endian), even on a little-endian system.  So use FITTP or
FITAB on one machine to write the AIPS data out to FITS files either on
disk or tape, and then use FITLD on the other machine to read these FITS
files back in.

This will work fine for primary (UV and Image) data, but as far as I
know, not for the "plot file" extensions attached to said primary data.
Eric should know if there are other extensions that would fail to make
the transition.  Run files are text and can just be copied as is.

				- Pat