[daip] Aips tape problem

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Fri Aug 15 14:56:22 EDT 2003

Shami Chatterjee writes:

 > I've set up dizzy as a Linux aips host, doing all the steps except
 > "sysetup dizzy" (I did NOT do this last step).

        All AIPS programs must read the SP file in order to run
correctly.  This includes TPMON (I checked).  The other files are
probably not needed although there is Tape file locking done too.

 > So I have
 > lrwxrwxrwx    /AIPS -> /home/space1/aips
 >
 > In NETSP:
 > /home/space1/aips/DATA/DIZZY_1 365.0    [...]
 >
 > In DADEVS.LIST.CORNELL:
 > -  /home/space1/aips/DATA/DIZZY_1
 >
 > In TPDEVS.LIST: (should this go to TPDEVS.LIST.CORNELL?)
 > DIZZY      /dev/nst0         7/14 GB Exabyte Eliant 820
 >
 > The services are exported by the NIS server:
 > % ypcat services | grep AIPS
 > sssin           5000/tcp     SSSIN           # AIPS TV server
 > aipsmt2         5012/tcp     AIPSMT2         # AIPS remote tape 2
 > aipsmt1         5011/tcp     AIPSMT1         # AIPS remote tape 1
 > aipsmt3         5013/tcp     AIPSMT3
 > tekserv         5009/tcp     TEKSERV         # AIPS TekServer
 > ssslock         5002/tcp     SSSLOCK         # AIPS TV Lock
 > aipsmt0         5010/tcp     AIPSMT0         # AIPS remote FITS disk
 > msgserv         5008/tcp     MSGSERV         # AIPS Message Server
 >
 > But when I run ./START_TPSERVERS
 > STARTPMON: [DIZZY] Starting TPMON1 with output SUPPRESSED
 > ZVTPO3: tcp/aipsmt0 is not a service
 > ZVTPO3: check /etc/services or NIS map!
 > STARTPMON: [DIZZY] Starting TPMON2 with output SUPPRESSED
 > AIPS% ZVTPO3: tcp/aipsmt1 is not a service
 > ZVTPO3: check /etc/services or NIS map!

   I am not expert in this area but clearly the /etc/services are not
being used.  That file is not used here either - everything comes from
nis.

Eric Greisen