[daip] Re: AIPS: fitting a point source

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Fri Aug 8 12:04:47 EDT 2003

Jon Mauerhan writes:
 > Hi Eric,
 > You helped me once before so Im asking for help again. I've been given the task
 > of measuring flux variability from a point source buried within extended
 > structure. I need to remove the point source emission from the extended
 > structure so that I may be left with a model of the extended stucture to subract
 > from the data leaving a pure point source to work with. Can you recommend the
 > best routines and input settings for fitting a point source model? Thanks.
 > ~ Jon ~

In the image plane, IMFIT and JMFIT allow you to fit not only a
Gaussian - which is what a point source will emulate - but also a DC
level and tilt which may help get rid of the extended structure inside
the window.  It helps to limit the size of the window to as small as
possible.

DFTPL and UVFIT - restricted to your longest spacings - may be of
interest.