[daip] Re: a short question about AIPS

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Aug 4 12:15:46 EDT 2003

Tingdong Chen writes:
 > Hi Eric Greisen,
 >
 >   I'm a graduate student in Brandeis University, using AIPS to do complex
 > cleaning. I wonder if u have time to help me on a AIPs problem.
 >
 >   When using CXCLN, it always gives error "AP SIZE TOO SMALL FOR PROBLEM"
 > if I choose imsize bigger than 512x521 in CXPOLN. I tried to reinstall
 > aips and changed the Advanced settings:
 >
 > AP Size (MB): 1-2048 (for your memory size 513604 KB, use 80 MB)
 >
 > but it still won't work(or even bigger), anything else I can do with it?
 >
 >   Thank you for your help.
 >
 > Tingdong Chen
 > Brandeis University

I wonder if your SETPAR SP file is limiting the size.  Try

cd $AIPS_ROOT
source LOGIN.CSH     (or . LOGIN.SH)
RUN SETPAR
2
29
enter large number, then enter largest allowed
-1
AMANAGER
4

Then run aips.

Example
primate<337>$ RUN SETPAR
Data disk assignments:
DADEVS.PL: This program is untested under Perl version 5.006
  (Using COAOARN-specific default file /home/primate2/AIPS/DA00/DADEVS.LIST.COAOARN for DADEVS.PL)
   Disk 1 (1) is /DATA/PRIMATE_1
   Disk 2 (2) is /DATA/PRIMATE_2
   Disk 3 (3) is /DATA/PRIMATE_3

Starting up SETPAR (RELEASE OF 31DEC03)
Enter:  1=Start Over, 2=Change parameters, 3=Change DEVTAB, 4=Quit
2
  1  No. of AIPS data areas ("disks")        1
  2  No. of tape drives                      4
  3  No. of lines per CRT page              -1
  4  No. of lines per print page            61
  5  No. of batch queues                     2
  6  Plotter no. of X dots per page       2112
  7  Plotter no. of Y dots per page       1600
  8  Plotter no. of X dots per character    20
  9  Plotter no. of Y dots per character    25
 10  No. of interactive AIPS                 8
 11  No. of words in REAL AP (in 1024s)     64
 12  No. of TV devices available             1
 13  No. of graphics devices available      16
 14  No. of X dots per mm on printer     7.830
 15  No. of X dots per mm on tektronix   5.000
 16  No. of POPS allowed access to TVs      35
 17  No. of POPS allowed access to TKs      35
 18  No. entries in private catalogs       100
 19  Local system Registration (A20)    UN-REGISTERED!!!!!!!
     Registration key 1 is            0
     Registration key 2 is            0
     Registration key 3 is            0
     Registration key 4 is            0
     Registration key 5 is            0
     Registration key 6 is            0
 *** Registration not valid for any version
 20  Maximum user number (<= 46655)      46655
 21  TIMDEST minima disks  1 -  1 days   14.
 22  TIMDEST limit: SAVE/GET files        28.
 23  TIMDEST/EXIT limit: messages          3.
 24  TIMDEST limit: scratch files          3.
 25  TIMDEST limit: empty CA files       0.250
 26  No AP batch starts: weekend hours  15.00016.500
     No AP batch starts: weekday hours  13.00017.000
 27  AP roll interval minutes            5.000
     AP patience: (1)*N+(2)*N*N minutes  5.000 1.000
 28  Line printer width (72 - 132)         132
 29  Pseudo-AP 2nd memory (1024s)         5056
 30  Max length of "short" vector            0
 31  Graphics (TK) screen size: x, y      1024   780
 32  Graphics (TK) character size: x, y     14    22
 33  Disk & reserved users or -1 scratch (9 I)
     Disk  1 Users    0
 34  Delay time print file delete (secs)   300
 35  Computer speed rating (AIPSmarks)   60.00

Enter number to change or  0 = Print, -1 = Return
29
 29  Pseudo-AP 2nd memory (1024s)         5056
9999999
 *** Pseudo-AP 2nd memory limited to  5056 not  9999999
 29  Pseudo-AP 2nd memory (1024s)         5056
5056
Enter number to change or  0 = Print, -1 = Return
-1
Password:
Enter:  1=Start Over, 2=Change parameters, 3=Change DEVTAB, 4=Quit
4
SETPA1: primate      31DEC03 TST: Cpu=       0.0  Real=     165
primate<338>$

If you have a fast computer try changing 35 as well.