[daip] compilation failure AIPS 31DEC02

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Aug 4 10:47:18 EDT 2003

Rekhesh Mohan writes:

 > On Saturday 2 August 2003 23:18, Eric Greisen wrote:
 > >
 > >     First - you must apply the patches to 31DEC02 preferably before
 > > attempting to compile with tis OS and compiler.  You need also to
 > > copy the special new version of OPTIMIZE.LIS made available through
 > > the aips home web page.  The trouble arises from your use of an OS
 > > and compiler more modern than the software you are trying to install.
 >
 > I had copied the OPTIMIZE.LIS from the aips webpage to my $SYSLOCAL (did
 > it before INSTEP2 began). Those patches were also introduced.
 >
 > ----------->
 >
 > > my bet is that things went wrong earlier in
 > > your installation.  PRINTENV.C is compiled in $SYSLOCAL to PRINTENV
 > > and $SYSLOCAL must be in your $PATH by that stage of install.pl.  It
 > > says below that it is not in your path - so either it failed to
 > > compile or the path is wrong.  The former is more likely.
 >
 > Problem was $PATH. I was trying to insert 31DEC02 in the same directory
 > where 31DEC00 was installed, there was some confusion with $PATH.

    I do exactly this every time I install AIPS and have never had a
problem.  Without details I cannot tell what went wrong.  The only
"gotcha" I know about is the ~/.AIPSRC file and that should not apply
since your old system was 31DEC00.

 > Perhaps the perl-installer could not set it properly? Afterwards, I
 > tried a fresh install in a new directory. This time INSTEP2 went on
 > well, but INSTEP4 failed right at the beginning. AIPSB.o was created,
 > but AIPSB.EXE failed.
 >
 > Error:
 > ------------------------------
 > undefined reference to `errno'
 > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
 > LINK      : Status from /usr/bin/g77 is 1
 > LINK      : Link of    /data3/reks/AIPS/31DEC02/LINUX/PREP/AIPSB.o
 > LINK      : dies from wimpy compiler
 > COMLNK    : Link failed!

     This says that the patches were not applied.  The improper
references to errno were part of the patch correction.

 > The same error repeated for subsequent files.
 >
 > Later, I downloaded gcc-3.3 and 31DEC03. There were no problems. AIPS is
 > up and working. Only problem is the MNJ. We got a tight firewall and
 > one squid proxy. cvs access is not possible because port 2401 is not
 > open. Is it possible to incorporate an option for wget in the MNJ
 > script? Just a suggestion, because wget can connect through proxy.

I will ask our system experts.  The advantage of cvs is that it
maintains a full code concurrency automatically.