[daip] compilation failure AIPS 31DEC02

Rekhesh Mohan reks at rri.res.in
Sun Aug 3 18:13:50 EDT 2003

Hi,
First a summary: I got AIPS 31DEC03 working on gcc-3.3. I've replied to
your (Eric Greisen's) mail in detail below, since it might be helpful
for the developers.

On Saturday 2 August 2003 23:18, Eric Greisen wrote:

>     First - you must apply the patches to 31DEC02 preferably before
> attempting to compile with tis OS and compiler.  You need also to
> copy the special new version of OPTIMIZE.LIS made available through
> the aips home web page.  The trouble arises from your use of an OS
> and compiler more modern than the software you are trying to install.

I had copied the OPTIMIZE.LIS from the aips webpage to my $SYSLOCAL (did
it before INSTEP2 began). Those patches were also introduced.

----------->

> my bet is that things went wrong earlier in
> your installation.  PRINTENV.C is compiled in $SYSLOCAL to PRINTENV
> and $SYSLOCAL must be in your $PATH by that stage of install.pl.  It
> says below that it is not in your path - so either it failed to
> compile or the path is wrong.  The former is more likely.

Problem was $PATH. I was trying to insert 31DEC02 in the same directory
where 31DEC00 was installed, there was some confusion with $PATH.
Perhaps the perl-installer could not set it properly? Afterwards, I
tried a fresh install in a new directory. This time INSTEP2 went on
well, but INSTEP4 failed right at the beginning. AIPSB.o was created,
but AIPSB.EXE failed.

Error:
------------------------------
undefined reference to `errno'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
LINK      : Status from /usr/bin/g77 is 1
LINK      : Link of    /data3/reks/AIPS/31DEC02/LINUX/PREP/AIPSB.o
LINK      : dies from wimpy compiler
COMLNK    : Link failed!
-----------------------------
The same error repeated for subsequent files.

Later, I downloaded gcc-3.3 and 31DEC03. There were no problems. AIPS is
up and working. Only problem is the MNJ. We got a tight firewall and
one squid proxy. cvs access is not possible because port 2401 is not
open. Is it possible to incorporate an option for wget in the MNJ
script? Just a suggestion, because wget can connect through proxy.

Thanks a lot for you mail and best wishes..

							--Rekhesh
        REKHESH MOHAN (Research Fellow)     +91-80-361 0122 (Off)
        Astrophysics group,                 +91-80-331 6690 (Res)
        RAMAN RESEARCH INSTITUTE            +91-80-361 0492 (Fax)
        Bangalore 560 080, INDIA
        ---------------reks-at-rri-dot-res-dot-in----------------