[daip] final messages

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Mon Sep 30 15:21:47 EDT 2002

Pedro Manuel Augusto writes:

 > STARTPMON: [AUGUSTO] The FITS area (/home/aips/AIPS/FITS) is not a
 > directory!

     cd to $AIPS_ROOT and mkdir FITS.  The install.pl proc omits this
step.

 > Is this critical? I do intend to use a remote tape drive to load data.
 > Another question: I was asked a password after introducing the aips user
 > number (1) for user "aips" which obviously was the AMANAGER one (I did not
 > change the default).
 >
 > Then I tried a new user (augusto; aips number 200) and no password was
 > asked. Is this ok?

     Only user 1 has a password when the code is installed.  You may
use the password verb in aips to add a password to the logged in user
number.

 > Entering under the "augusto" acount I got the following errors:
 >
 > ZDCHI1: ZERROR: ON FILE DA00:SPD000000;
 > ZDCHI1: ZERROR: IN ZDAOPN ERRNO = 13 (Permission denied)
 >  ZDCHIN: COULD NOT READ PARAMETER FILE
 >  ZDCHIN: (USING MINIMUM SYSTEM CONFIGURATION)
 > Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 31DEC01) at priority =   0
 > AIPS 1: ZERROR: ON FILE DA00:SPD000000;
 > AIPS 1: ZERROR: IN ZDAOPN ERRNO = 13 (Permission denied)
 >  ZDCHIN: COULD NOT READ PARAMETER FILE
 >  ZDCHIN: (USING MINIMUM SYSTEM CONFIGURATION)
 >
 > and after introducing the aips number the errors:
 >
 >  ZMSGOP: FILE DA01:MSD05K000.05K;      NOT FOUND
 > MSGWRT ERROR      2 AT OPEN
 > AIPS 1: ZERROR: ON FILE DA00:ACD000000;
 >  ZMSGOP: FILE DA01:MSD05K000.05K;      NOT FOUND
 > MSGWRT ERROR      2 AT OPEN
 > AIPS 1: ZERROR: IN ZDAOPN ERRNO = 13 (Permission denied)
 >  ZMSGOP: FILE DA01:MSD05K000.05K;      NOT FOUND
 > MSGWRT ERROR      2 AT OPEN
 > AIPS 1: ACCOUNT: OPEN ERROR      6
 >
 > And then it looks normal.
 > Please tell me if I must correct something or if everything is ok now.
 > Regards,

I would have thought that the error messages would have continued.  It
appears that the augusto account does not have write privilege to many
of the important files.  Here we make sure that everyone who uses aips
is in the aipsuser group either as their primary or secondary group.
If thes files are owned by group aipsuser with rw group privilege,
then full access is available.

Because error messages worry users, we hide all messages that are
meaningless.  If you see an error message, then something is really
wrong although sometimes it can be ignored.