[daip] AIPS and Redhat 7.2

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Thu Sep 5 10:51:31 EDT 2002

Michael Faison writes:

 > Will classic AIPS be released for Redhat 7.2?  Also, where can the aips
 > linux binaries be downloaded?

We do not have separate releases for various flavors of Linux.
Instead we have a frozen release (now called 31DEC01) and a
development version (31DEC02) either of which you may download from
our web site:

              http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/aips

The frozen release also has Linux binaries which you may download.
Given the speed of current computers it might be faster to recompile
them than to download them.  Be sure to get a correct compiler in this
case - see the box on the aips web page.  There is a new gnu compiler
version 3.1 I believe but I have not had time to test it.  The 3.0.n
versions were slower and less reliable than the older 2.95.3 compiler
which we still recommend.  The patched 2.96 compiler supplied with
RedHat does not work correctly.