[daip] Data Areas in AIPS

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Thu Sep 5 10:46:16 EDT 2002

Maritza Tavarez writes:

 > 	I am having trouble defining the data areas when installing AIPS
 > 31DEC02 version.  I have entered the following in screen 7 of the install
 > wizard:
 >
 > /home/aips/DATA_1
 > /u3/aips/DATA_2
 > /m6/aips/DATA_3
 >
 > As a space separated list.  Everything compiles correctly, but it cannot
 > find the data areas.  These directories are listed in the DADEVS.LIST and
 > NETSP files, yet when installing nothing appears.
 >
 > I've even tried doing the symbolic links thing based on what it suggested
 >
 > /home/aips/DATA_1:/usr/local/AIPS/AIPS/DATA/MARITZALT_1 etc...
 >
 > But it doesn't work either.  I then created the symbolic links and added
 > the lines to the DADEVS file and ran the install script again.  This time
 > it found the directories but said they were unavailable.
 >
 > Any ideas on what else I can try?

      I am not entirely clear what is going on here.  The data areas
need either to be "required" - a + sign in column 1 of DADEVS.LIST -
or they must have in their name the name of the host so that the
startup procs can recognize which data areas go with which host.  I do
not recommend Required data areas in the case where there is more than
one host since usage of data areas with NFS on another computer is
very slow.  The data areas must contain a file called SPACE which you
can create with a simple "touch SPACE" command - the file must be rw
privilege to anyone using the data area.  The DADEVS.LIST and NETSP
list should contain the directory names that contain the host name so
that the startup proc can select them - and DADEVS and NETSP should be
consistent.

Does this help?