[daip] AIPS HELP

Patrick P Murphy pmurphy at NRAO.EDU
Mon Sep 2 22:40:26 EDT 2002

My apologies.  I meant to pipe in my $0.02 earlier, but didn't have time.
(I'm no longer with the AIPS group but help out from time to time with
system matters).

On Fri, 23 Aug 2002 17:09:16 -0700 (PDT), "Andrew A. West"
<west at toast.astro.washington.edu> said:

>> #
>> #I tried this serval times but I get the same errors.
>> #
>> #The two main errors still are:
>> #
>> #ZMSGOP: FILE DA01:MSD1PQ000.1PQ;    NOT FOUND

This is saying it can't find your message file.  Somehow it either got
blown away, or did not get created correctly.  If you empty the message
file from another AIPS session accessing that same disk (data area) as
"disk #1", then you can see this error.

> I don't know exactly where these files are generated in install.pl but

They are generated when it says it's going to run FILAIP, then POPSGN.

> when it starts the FILAIP I get the following huge string of errors:
> One of the things it says is that there is no space on the disk but the
> disk has hundreds of Gigs of space.  I don't understand!!!!

It says there are no locks available.  That means file locking (using the
fcntl() system call) is not working on this particular (NFS-mounted?) data
area.  Once you peel away the errors about no message file, you see these:

> ZLOCK: No locks available
> FILAI1: ZCREA2: ERROR LOCKING SPACE LOCK FILE = DA00:SPACE
> FILAI1: ZCREA2: PERFORMING NON-ATOMIC FILE CREATION INSTEAD
> ZLOCK: No locks available

I suspect that the following:

> FILAI1: INSUFFICIENT SPACE ON DISK  1 FOR FILE DA00:BQD000000;

is a bit of a red herring.  It's best to solve the file locking issue
first, before digging deeper.  The way to solve it is to find your system
administrator (if that's not you) and see if file locking is enabled on
the system you're running on, and on the NFS server if that data area is
served via NFS from a remote host.  You want to make sure the "statd" and
"lockd" RPC services are both running.

I hope this helps somewhat.

				- Pat

--
 Patrick P. Murphy, Ph.D.              Division Head, CV Computing, NRAO
 Home: http://www.chien-noir.com/    Work: http://www.nrao.edu/~pmurphy/