[daip] question for aips installation

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Oct 29 11:02:57 EST 2002

Gloria Dubner writes:

 > I have been failing the last couple of days in my intent to install the
 > 31DEC02 version of aips classic. It fails in the compilation, I cannot
 > find the problem and do not know enough of the system to understand what
 > is wrong with the g77 (the install complains:failed to compile... many
 > times, and then is unable to run instep2).
 > I have installed gcc-2.95.3 under /usr/bin/gcc
 >
 > Is there any way (that I cannot find from the web page) to retrieve the
 > binaries ? It is to be installed in a PC with Linux 7.3
 > If I can directly install the binaries, I can  postpone my worries
 > about what is wrong in my Linux compiler.
 >
 > I do not have a sysmanager to ask for help. Sorry for bothering you.

I am rather concerned about the use of /usr/bin to put the "new" gcc -
the operating system uses that one and you have replaced it.  I am not
sure that your operating system will now work correctly.  I believe
that our instructions caution against doing this.

Please send me the actual messages that occur on the failures - I
suspect that the compiles of the $SYSLOCAL area routines are failing
which will stop later steps.  The contents of the file .AIPSRC in your
home area are important.

I hope that you are not installing aips as root as well.

Cheers,