[daip] question for aips installation

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Oct 23 10:00:27 EDT 2002

Gloria Dubner writes:
 > Dear Aips-helper,
 >
 > I am about to install a new version of Aips in a PC with Linux RedHat
 > 7.3.
 > I am not sure if I understood correctly from the webpage that versions 3.
 > of the compiler may bring some troubles. Since I am still in time to
 > change the Linux version (is a new machine), I will very much acknowledge
 > you any suggestion/advice about the best Linux and aips version to
 > install.

The version of RedHat that you have is fine.  The compiler issue is as
follows: gcc version 3.2 works okay but produces code that appears to
be 20% slower in cpu and 15% slower in real time than the code prduced
by gcc 2.95.3.  The aips web page has a brief discussion of this and a
subsidiary page with detailed instructions on how to download and
install 2.95.3 in an area of your choosing (NOT /usr/bin et al. since
that area is used by the operating system).

To see what verion of gcc you actually have by default enter

    /usr/bin/g77 -v

and there will be a lot of verbiage from which you may determine the
default version.

Cheers,