[daip] help to migrate AIPS data from solaris platform to linux

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Wed Oct 16 08:07:40 EDT 2002

Ming Zhu writes:
 > Hello,
 >
 > I am trying to migrate the AIPS data from a solaris 2.5.1 server to
 > Linux platform for the radio astronomy group
 > at University of Toronto.  My linux box runs Redhat 7.3 and the latest
 > AIPS package 31DEC02 has been successfully
 > installed on it.  Now I need to migrate the data (AIPS 31DEC01) from the
 > solaris server (called FFT)  to Linux (called DENEB).
 >
 > I tried to mount  the data disk from FFT to DENEB. After editting
 > $AIPS_ROOT/DA00/DADEVS.LIST
 > and NETSP, I can see the user data area when running aips on DENEB.
 > However,  DENEB could not read the catalog
 > information, i.e. the command mcat  or ucat does not show any files.
 >
 > On my second attempt, I tried to copy all the aips data files from FFT
 > and put them in the user data area  2  (disk 2) on DENEB. However,  I
 > got the following error when running mcat:

I hope that you have not destroyed all the data!!!!

Do NOT do this - the 2 computers have different architectures and so
cannot read each other's data.  You must go through FITS files on disk
or tape.  There are procedures in the new aips to help this process.

Enter RUN  FITDISK  to load the procs - an dthen look at their help
files to see how to use them