[daip] help to migrate AIPS data from solaris platform to linux

Ming Zhu zhu at astro.utoronto.ca
Tue Oct 15 12:47:24 EDT 2002

Hello,

I am trying to migrate the AIPS data from a solaris 2.5.1 server to
Linux platform for the radio astronomy group
at University of Toronto.  My linux box runs Redhat 7.3 and the latest
AIPS package 31DEC02 has been successfully
installed on it.  Now I need to migrate the data (AIPS 31DEC01) from the
solaris server (called FFT)  to Linux (called DENEB).

I tried to mount  the data disk from FFT to DENEB. After editting
$AIPS_ROOT/DA00/DADEVS.LIST
and NETSP, I can see the user data area when running aips on DENEB.
However,  DENEB could not read the catalog
information, i.e. the command mcat  or ucat does not show any files.

On my second attempt, I tried to copy all the aips data files from FFT
and put them in the user data area  2  (disk 2) on DENEB. However,  I
got the following error when running mcat:

AIPS 1: Catalog on disk  2
AIPS 1:  Cat Usid Mapname      Class   Seq  Pt     Last access      Stat

AIPS 1: ZFIO: OPER = READ LUN = 15 NREC =        6
AIPS 1: ZFI2: REQUEST FOR BYTES 5121 THRU = 6144 BEYOND EOF = 5120
AIPS 1: ZERROR: IN ZFI2   ERRNO = 22 (Invalid argument)

I don't like to have all the users to dump  data to fits format on FFT
and load them back to DENEB one by one.
Is there any better way to do that?

Please help.  Thank you!

Ming Zhu