[daip] Re: AIPS install errors...

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Fri Oct 4 10:32:25 EDT 2002

I have not actually looked at your log - I am sure I know what the
problem is.  When you get to screen 11 it asks for the name (path) to
the C and Fortran compilers and asks whether the options are
acceptable.  The problem is that the default options are for Sun's
compilers not gcc/g77.  (We find that Sun's compilers make much more
efficient code - at least the last time we tried this which was years
ago.)  You need to correct the options as well as the name of the
compiler.

It may be easier to stop using install.pl at this point and switch to
"manual" operation.  Edit the files
       $SYSLOCAL/{CCOPTS,LDOPTS,FDEAFULT}.SH
correcting the options.  Then cd to $TST/$ARCH/INSTALL.
       ( INSTEP2 >/DEV/NULL 2>>INSTEP2.ERR & )
and tail -f INSTEP2.LOG.  Then repeat with INSTEP4.  After that

       RUN FILAIP
       15 -100
       6  2
       4

       RUN POPSGN
       0 POPSDAT TST
       <CR>

The password for aips manager is AMANAGER (out of the box).

We have got to fix things to allow for g77 and gcc but it will be up
to me these days and I do not know system things or perl at all well.

Let me know if there are any more problems.