[daip] Re: Shared memory error

Edward Colbert colbert at pha.jhu.edu
Tue Oct 1 17:02:55 EDT 2002

We are having a very strange problem with the TV and 15OCT99 Solaris AIPS.

We have it configured for a small number of Solaris machines and I installed
AIPS in /usr/local/src/aips under my username, so the files are owned by
me (colbert).  Susan Ridgway (user ridgway) has machine called alecto and
cannot start the TV on her machine with any of the following commands:

% aips
% aips tv=alecto

The error is: Shared memory id failure: Invalid argument
(See text below)

If I, or another valid aips user, tries the same command, it works fine and
the TV comes up.

We did come up with a temp fix, which works fine.  If Susan logs into my
machine and types

% aips tv=local

The TV running on my machine comes up okay on her machine.

Do you have an idea of what problem might be causing this?  We have been
scratching our heads for a few days and have not figured it out.  Both
machines are configured with exactly the same nsswitch.conf and services
entries.

Thanks
Ed Colbert