[daip] Re: AIPS midnight job

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Tue Oct 1 11:05:47 EDT 2002

Hiroshi IMAI writes:

 > We have only one AIPS source.
 > In ASTRON/JIVE, all machines are linked in somehow like NFS with
 > the machine installed the AIPS source.
 > To do update for LINUX and Solaris machines, I have done update.pl
 > and the MNJ twice in one of LINUX and Solaris machines using the
 > above single AIPS source.

      The MNJ for the 2nd machine must be set up differently than for
the first machine.  Take a look at $UPDUNIX/UPDCONFIG for site
NRAOTUC/CUTOARN (NRAO Tucson).  You will see there that the
machine "brador" is set up as the local "master" while capel and pisco
are secondary machines.  For these UpdDoNFS and UpdClient are true and
things like UpdCVS are NO.  For the master these are reversed and the
master sees mnj.aoc.nrao.edu as master.  Do note that this code
segment inherits the settings at the top of the file.

      The files you should edit to make these changes are in the two
$SYSLOCAL areas also named UPDCONFIG.

 > By the way, BPASS was updated correctly after editting BPASS.FOR by hand
 > as you instructed. However, FILLM was not updated correctly yet.
 > I found the following error message.
 >
 > -------------
 > LINK      :            /aips/31DEC02/SUL/LIBR/APLSOL/SUBLIB \
 > LINK      :            -lsocket -lnsl -dalign
 > -L/local/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.6/2.9
 > 5.3/ -lgcc -s \
 > LINK      :            -o /aips/31DEC02/SUL/PREP/FILLM.EXE
 > zdkmid_                             /aips/31DEC02/SUL/PREP/FILLM.o
 > ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to
 > /aips/31DEC02/SUL/PREP/FILLM.EXE
 > LINK      : Status from /opt/SUNWspro/bin/f77 is 1
 > LINK      : Link of    /aips/31DEC02/SUL/PREP/FILLM.o
 > LINK      : dies from wimpy compiler
 > COMLNK    : Link failed!
 > ---------------

    This one worries me - it suggests that the MNJ did not actually
work as it should.  This is a new subroutine added July 22, 2002 that
should have been compiled.  Perhaps you should reset the clocks and
run the two MNJs over again.  Thus, one both machines (after fixing
UPDCONFIG),

     cd $TST/$ARCH/UPDATE
     change all LAST*DAT* files to show a date much earlier - such as
         when you first installed 31DEC02.
     then run the MNJ - this will do a lot of work but modern machines
     are fast..

It might be okay simply to set LASTCOMRPL.DAT and LASTCOMLNK.DAT to
20020701.000000 or something.