[daip] Help with TKPL and TV problem on Linux 31DEC02

Ming Zhu zhu at fft.astro.utoronto.ca
Fri Nov 1 16:39:55 EST 2002

Hi Eric,

My new installation of the AIPS 31DEC02 package on a LINUX Red Hat
7.3 platform does not work properly. It is not stable. Sometime it
seemed OK, but most time it is very slow. For example
FITLD took 189 seconds and KNTR took 190 seconds to complete, while
the actual CPU time was reported as 0.1 seconds. Most of
the time AIPS as just waiting after typing a command.
My PC has 516 M memory and 1.8 GHz CPU.

Today everything related to the TV and TEK failed.
The major problem are listed below:

(1) TKPL does not work. Here is the error message
TKPL 1: ZERROR: IN ZTKOP2 ERRNO = 110 (Connection timed out)
TKPL 1: TEKTRONIX OPEN ERROR

(2) TVINIT also failed.
The error is

ZSSSL2 connect (INET): Connection timed out
AIPS 1 15:01:11 ZSSSLK: ERROR   1 ON LOCK
AIPS 1 15:01:11 ON LOCK ERROR    6 FROM ZSSSLK
AIPS 1 15:01:11 YTVOPN: TV LOCK OPEN ERROR      6

(3) The AIPS_MSGSRV window did not show any message. The messages are
displayed in the xterm where I type the AIPS command.

The TV screen was always empty and I could not display anything on it.

I used the INET option when installing AIPS. And the following is in my
/etc/services

sssin           5000/tcp        SSSIN           # aips
vtvin           5001/tcp        VTVIN           # aips
ssslock         5002/tcp        SSSLOCK         # aips
msgserv         5008/tcp        MSGSERV         # aips
tekserv         5009/tcp        TEKSERV         # aips
aipsmt0         5010/tcp                        # aips
aipsmt1         5011/tcp                        # aips

The problem seemed to related inetd. But I have no idea how to fix it.
Please help. Thank you!

Ming Zhu
Astronomy Dept.
U of Toronto