[daip] how to printout the closure phase in AIPS?

Leonia Kogan lkogan at aoc.nrao.edu
Fri May 24 10:36:44 EDT 2002

Hi Zhiqiang,

>I wonder if there is any tasks in AIPS can save the closure phase
>for the printout. I know that CLPLT can create the plots of closure
>phase, so it must form the closure phase for plotting. But I don't
>know if the closure phase can be saved or not. Would you please
>kindly tell me how to handle this in AIPS?

The AIPS saves any plot information for the future printout at PL file
(DOTV =-1).
This  is the standard way for ay AIPS task including CLPLT.
Having created the PL file you can print it by LWPLA directely or
LWPLA can redirect the printout to outputfile at the PS format.
At the last case you can print the PS file outside of AIPS

>I also wonder how the AIPS task UVAVG calculate the errors or
>scatters for the vector averaged visibility amplitude. The usual
>way of doing so is to divide the summation of the difference between
>each visibility and the (coherently) averaged visibility by the number
>of visibility within the averaging bin. But I think the visibility data
>are complex ones, so we should treat it differently.

I do not see any calculation of the errors or scatters by UVAVG.
At least UVPRT does not print anything like that.
So your question is about how the rms of amplitude is calculated based
on calculation of rms of real and imag parts.
This a theoretical question and you can find the answer elsewhe for example
at Method of experimental physics, v12-part C, Astrophysics, Radioastronomy
p243, or Interferometry and Synthesis in Radio Astronomy, by thomson, Moran and Swenson p165.

Leonia

I wonder if there is any tasks in AIPS can save the closure phase
for the printout. I know that CLPLT can create the plots of closure
phase, so it must form the closure phase for plotting. But I don't
know if the closure phase can be saved or not. Would you please
kindly tell me how to handle this in AIPS?

I also wonder how the AIPS task UVAVG calculate the errors or
scatters for the vector averaged visibility amplitude. The usual
way of doing so is to divide the summation of the difference between
each visibility and the (coherently) averaged visibility by the number
of visibility within the averaging bin. But I think the visibility data
are complex ones, so we should treat it differently.

Looking forward to learning from you.

Cheers,
Zhiqiang