[daip] AIPS architecture confusion

Shami Chatterjee shami at astro.cornell.edu
Fri May 3 11:58:48 EDT 2002

Hi,
[Background: I have a master SUL install, updated every other night,
and a slave SOL install that runs the MNJ over NFS. I rebuilt aips
recently (April 16) and it has been on the MNJ since then. The SUL
install is fine.]

My SOL installation of aips is behaving strangely. I can start it up,
run things like LISTR, but on other tasks like SNPLT, I get this message:

AIPS 1: ZACTV9: CANNOT START SNPLT1
AIPS 1: ERRNO = 8 (Exec format error)

I have the right architecture:
% echo $ARCH
SOL
% uname -a
SunOS monk 5.6 Generic_105181-25 sun4m sparc SUNW,SPARCstation-20

So I try to run the executable directly, like this:
(I don't expect it to run, but the error message is informative)

% 31DEC02/SOL/LOAD/SNPLT.EXE
31DEC02/SOL/LOAD/SNPLT.EXE: Exec format error. Binary file not
executable.

whereas on a SUL host, the SOL SNPLT spits out error messages
indicating that it is running. I realize that SUL hosts are backwards
compatible, so this doesn't prove anything, but my initial suspicion
was that the SOL installation was built on a SUL host by accident (how
is that possible?). However, the MNJ has updated a few tasks since then:

/home/space1/aips/31DEC02/SOL/LOAD:
-rwxrwxr-x   1 aips     Software  568772 Apr 30 13:46 UVCON.EXE*
./UVCON.EXE: Exec format error. Binary file not executable.

So this is not build-date dependent: I'm sure that the SOL MNJ runs on
this host, so how is it generating binaries that it cannot run?
Or is this some obscure setting that is messed up?

Thanks for your ideas about the problem.
Shami

 Shami Chatterjee     http://www.astro.cornell.edu/~shami/

 Hofstadter's Law: Everything takes longer than you expect,
           even when you take into account Hofstadters law.