[daip] AIPS question

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Fri Mar 29 12:55:51 EST 2002

Fredrik =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Rantakyr=F6?= writes:

 >     I have installed the 31DEC02 version, the 31DEC01 version works fine. But in this
 > version I have problems with printing out text or PS to the printer or a file I get
 > into problems. If I set outprint 'test' in PRTHI and DOCRT -1 I get:
 >  >go prthi
 > AIPS 1: ZTXOP2: using translated file name =
 > AIPS 1: ZTXOP2: DUTT
 > AIPS 1: ZTXIO: FORTRAN WRITE ERROR =    127
 > AIPS 1: ZERROR: SYSTEM ERROR CODE =        127
 > AIPS 1: ZTXIO: LUN =      3 NOT OPEN

 > I have compiled under Redhat 7.2 with gcc3 but I hope that the problem might lie
 > in some configuration file rather than in the compilation (which went OK for all
 > INSTEPS).

I have managed to find the error code 127 - unfortunately it means
"cannot write file" which we could have guessed already.

My machine is a RedHat 7.2 and I have a private copy of AIPS compiled
with gcc 3.0.4 for test purposes.  It seems to write LWPLA fiiles,
OUTPRINT files, etc for me without complaint.  Note that we do not
recommend 3.0+ versions of the compiler.  They produce slower code and
3.0.3 and 3.0.4 fail to generate correct code on some old familiar
tasks (COMB).  I know that 3.0.2 worked on AIPS, but I believe that
3.0 did not.

Normally, OUTPRINT is given in the form logical:name.  The form you
used, with no logical, requires permission to write on the current
directory.  The form in LWPLA requires write permission on /tmp.  I
would have thought that an error related to permissions would have
appeared in the ZTXOPN call, rather than waiting for the ZTXIO call.

We have not changed the Z routines in this area for a long time.  The
FITS disk routines now use C rather than Fortran I/O, which appears to
be fortunate in your case.

I'm sorry that I do not have any really good ideas.  I would go back
and put in gcc 2.95.3 and re-run INSTEP2 and INSTEP4 (see our web page
for instructions http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/aips ) on general principles
but I would not want to promise that even that will solve your
problem.