[daip] Midnight Job frustrations

Grant Denn gdenn at sbc.edu
Wed Mar 27 12:16:44 EST 2002

Hello:
We at Sweet Briar have still not been able to make the midnight job run
on
our machines.

I have run the scrips MAKE.MNJ.
I have altered the /etc/crontab file to run the
/home/aipsmgr/do_daily.HOST files at
1:30 AM, as Pat Murphy kindly explained.
I have made sure that cvs is properly referenced in the do_daily.HOST
file
(and it does appear
in files like AIPSUPD, where I have found a discrepancy perhaps?: in
UPDCONFIG

        cvscmd=/usr/bin/cvs (properly referenced to our machines'
executable)
 but later
    cvscmd=/usr/local/bin/cvs
but this is under the TUSCON section so I don't think it applies.

Any help is appreciated once again thanks in advance.
Grant

On Mon, 18 Mar 2002 11:29:15 -0500, Grant Denn <gdenn at sbc.edu> said:

> I had thought I properly set up the MNJ but it did not run over the
> weekend.  Perhaps we need a secure shell key

No, you should not need any ssh key; the secure shell is not needed for
operation of a midnight job anymore.  It's all based on anonymous CVS.

> 30 1 * * 1-6 /home/aipsmgr/do_daily.jono

> Since I don't know how to decode the crontab file

"man 5 crontab" tells you how.  Excerpt:

              field          allowed values
              -----          --------------
              minute         0-59
              hour           0-23
              day of month   1-31
              month          1-12 (or names, see below)
              day of week    0-7 (0 or 7 is Sun, or use names)

So you've told cron to fire up /home/aipsmgr/do_daily.jono at 1:30am
every
day of the week except Sunday.

Commands executed in cron do not get the benefit of your usual dot login

files (.profile, .cshrc, etc); so hence the previous comments about
getting your PATH set up so that it includes obvious things like
/usr/bin (which it should anyway).

                        - Pat (not in the AIPS group, just knows a
                               little [very little!] about this stuff)
--
Grant R. Denn
Research and Teaching Fellow